Mark Smith – Firm Founder
Mark has been a licensed attorney in Texas since 1999. He has worked on both sides of the bar – representing plaintiffs in cases involving employment law, contract disputes, personal injury claims, and other legal matters and businesses as general counsel.
Since 2004, Mark has represented Harris County Emergency Corps (“HCEC”, formerly Harris County Emergency Services District No. 1), a premier EMS agency in Southeast Texas. During that time, he served as Vice President of Administration and General Counsel for the organization of 200+ employees and volunteers and serving more than 400,000 residents of Harris County, Texas. Since returning to private practice, Mark has added a number of small businesses to his growing practice, including Manvel EMS, Angleton Area Emergency Medical Services, Inc., Art & Kustom Kreations, the Wellness Integration Center, Deep South Builders, LLC, and more.
Mark is certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) and a Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), which exemplifies Mark’s expertise to help small and mid-size businesses with their employment-related legal and general business issues.
Mark is General Counsel and Secretary of the Board of Directors for Harris County Emergency Corps (a nonprofit 911 EMS agency), General Counsel and Director for the Board of Directors for the Outdoor Association for Texas Heroes, Inc. (OATH) (a nonprofit focused on helping disabled veterans through outdoor recreational activities), General Counsel and Secretary for the Pearland Foundation for the Performing and Visual Arts (a non-profit granting scholarships for students in the fine or performing arts), and General Counsel and Secretary for Aggies Helping Others (a charitable non-profit of former Texas A&M MBA graduates). He is also co-owner of OlsonSmith Solutions, LLC, an emerging IT staffing and consulting firm.
A graduate of Texas A&M University’s Mays Business school with an MBA, Mark serves as a class agent and keeps in frequent contact with his classmates.
Mark is also a sports and fitness enthusiast, having participated in several races including the Tough Mudder, the Spartan Race, and others.
- Juris Doctorate – University of Houston Law Center (1998)
- MBA – Texas A&M University (2012)
- BA – Texas A&M University (1995)
- Senior Professional in Human Resourcesn (SPHR)
- Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Myers Briggs Typology Indicator (MBTI)
- State Bar of Texas
- Society of Human Resources Management
- HR Houston
- Pearland Chamber of Commerce
- Brazoria County Bar Association
- Texas EMS Alliance
- State Firefighter’s and Fire Marshal’s Association
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
Publications and Presentations:
- When Jane Becomes John: LGBT Issues in the Workplace, Presentation at Texas Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues (May 2015).
- Texas Payroll Law, Presentation at Galveston County Small Business Development Corporation (April 2015)
- Texas Estate Planning Basics, Presentation at Pearland Senior Expo (March 2015).
- If You Build It: Texas Business Formation, Presentation at Galveston County Small Business Development Corporation (August 2014)
- Texas Employment Laws, Presentation at Galveston County Small Business Development Corporation (August 2014)
- Hiring Right: Tips for Building a High Performance Team, Presentation at Pearland Chamber of Commerce – Wisdom on Wednesdays (July 2014)
- EMS Patient Refusals, http://jmsmithlaw.com/ems-patient-refusals/ (July 2, 2014).
- When Jane Becomes John: LGBT Issues in the Workplace, Presentation at Texas Gulf Coast Symposium on HR Issues (May 2014).